Paragon Place, Walworth
2 Paragon Place, Walworth, 1794-95
First appears in a letter of 11 July 1794; last reference on 28 July 1795. John Dunkin was living in the spacious mansion at the Paragon at least by 1792 (see his subscription to Robert Robinson’s tome, Ecclesiastical Researches). The home was large enough for the Dunkins as well as Mary (and most likely Elizabeth and possibly Marianna Hays) to live there. We know that Mary Hays lived there for most of 1794 and 1795 before moving to Kirby Street late in 1795. Thomas Hays appears to have remained in Gainsford Street home, as did Mrs. Hays most likely, at least through the early years of the new century. Thomas Hays married in 1796 and occupied the residence for several years, most likely still sharing the home with Mrs Hays and Elizabeth. Paragon Place, Walworth, was built by Michael Searles in 1788, and the Blackheath Paragon c. 1798. He lived at no. 6, just around the corner from the Dunkins. The Walworth Paragon Place was situated at the junction of the new and old Kent Roads (what is today Searles Road); the original Paragon Place was demolished in 1898. In 1798 John Dunkin moved into a mansion at Champion Hill, near Camberwell.
Two homes at the Paragon in Walworth, as it looked in the late 1890s just prior to its demolition.