Park Street, Islington



3 Park Street, Islington 

1806-1809

 

This address first appears in February 1806. Crabb Robinson visits her there a month later. The last reference to this residence appears in February 1809. Park Street begins at Upper Street directly across from Canonbury Lane and Canonbury Square. Park Street was originally Kettle Lane and then Park Lane, which is what the street was called when Hays moved there in 1806. In 1807 the street became Park Street and today is known as Islington Park Street. The street ran for about two blocks until ending at Park Place, a row of terrace homes along each side of what is now Liverpool Street. The first house built at the corner of Park Place and Park Street was in 1790 and still stands (see the picture below), providing a glimpse into what Hays's home might have looked like. 

John Hays appears in the 1806 Survey Map of St Mary Parish, Islington, at 3 Park Lane. However, in the 1805-06 Poor Rate Book, a James Trimmer has been marked out and the name Hays written after his name, with ^Mary^ written above the marked out name.  John may have procured the residence, but it does not appear that he ever lived there. It appears that on the day the tax collector made his rounds, he changed the name to “Hays,” which may not have been sufficient for Mary Hays, who may well have asked him to add her name above the line, something we would expect from Hays but somewhat unusual for rate books. Whatever the case, the addition of her name would have been an important moment in her life, for it was the first (and this would prove the only time) that Mary Hays would live as an independent woman, though not so independent that she would decline taking upon her the care and education of John Dunkin's three youngest daughters, Emma, Sarah, and Marianna. 


The Rev John Evans, Mary Hays's correspondent from 1793 and the prominent Unitarian minister at Worship Street since 1792, lived in Islington at 7 Pullins Row, along High Street near present day Duncan Street. Hays is gone from the rate books by 1810. A John Lidiard, living at that time in Park Street, may have been the father, husband, or brother of the Miss Lydiard to whom Hays writes in June 1822. During Mary Hays time at this residence, her Historical Dialogues for Young Person of both Sexes was published by Joseph Johnson and Joseph Mawman. Mawman advertised these volumes in his catalogues continuously between 1809 and 1820, as well as in the London and provincial papers. 

.

At the juncture of Park Street and what is now Liverpool Street was Park Place; to the left was Park Terrace.  About three blocks down the street was Felix Terrace, where Sarah Hills would soon live. Both Park Street and Felix Terrace were not far from Upper Terrace, where Elizabeth Hays Lanfear lived at that time. Within a few years Emma Dunkin Hills, Mary's niece, would move into a townhome in Canonbury Square, which began just across Upper Street from Park Street. Thus, between 1804 and 1825, Elizabeth Hays Lanfear lives in this section of Islington, with her sister Sarah, her niece Emma Hills, with her other sister Mary Hays living near her at various times. Mary Hays would later return to Islington to live in a boarding house in Cross Street, situated between Canonbury Square and Church Street, the latter street being Elizabeth Lanfear's residence after her husband's suicide in 1810. About that time Mrs. Hays, mother of Mary, Sarah, and Elizabeth, moved to Islington, apparently living with Elizabeth and helping her with her two young boys. At the time of her death in 1812, Mrs. Hays's will denotes her as living in Islington.